The Campus has developed a multi-award winning Green Travel Plan, which reduces the carbon footprint of our staff as they travel to and from work. Initiatives include car-sharing, a dedicated Campus coach service, a cycle to work scheme and provision of charging ports for electric cars at various locations here on Campus.
An updated Green Travel Plan will be published in Autumn 2021 as the Campus works towards a 50 per cent reduction in carbon emissions from commuter and business travel by 2030.
We have a variety of schemes and incentives in place to help us meet our targets for a greener and more sustainable Campus. Those include:
- Promotion of railcard information and travel discounts to all staff.
- Regular postcode surveys conducted to help us understand how far those working on Campus are commuting.
- Car Share Awareness days held for all staff.
- A number of Cycle to Work events are held every year to help raise awareness amongst staff.
- Dr Bike is occasionally invited to Campus to help staff with any bike maintenance issues.
- A celebration every June called Bike Week comprising many different events.
- Additional electric car charging points have been installed bringing up the current total to 12.
- We operate 10 return bus routes every weekday with a total seat capacity of 1,108. Buses are free to all staff.
- We will continue to reduce single occupancy vehicles arriving on Campus aiming to meet our target of 40% by 2020.
Join the conversation
Network with the world’s most distinguished genomes and biodata scientists and business leaders. For exclusive invites to our events and access to the latest Campus news, subscribe today.Subscribe Now
acre Wetlands Nature Reserve
of the total energy consumed on Campus is self-generated
staff using Campus bus service
e-car charging ports on Campus
The Wellcome Genome Campus has plans for further development and expansion of its facilities. The plans for the Campus build on exceptionally high quality research. Once complete, the Campus will be firmly established as an international centre for scientific, business, cultural and educational activities flowing from genomes and computation biology (biodata).Learn more