Become a game-changer
Discover your inner entrepreneur
DATE: 23 November 2023 (in person, time TBC)
Our panel of inspirational entrepreneurs will be motivating and inspiring genomics and biodata scientists to solve big problems by:
- Mapping the landscape and experimenting with entrepreneurial thinking to identify where opportunities in genomics and biodata lie – right now
- Discovering why scientists in our field are uniquely positioned to develop entrepreneurial opportunities and make an impact and why solving the right problem and having a big vision can help
- Using tools from Effectual Entrepreneurship to get underway – starting with you, what you know, who you know and how having a growth mindset can be a game-changer
- Exploring the diversity of business models in genomics and biodata, how entrepreneurs can create value and what investors look for when life sciences and technology converge.
- And by exploring the value of diversity and inclusion in all aspects of entrepreneurship – your team, your idea and the problem you’re seeking to solve.
Andy Richards, Life Sciences Entrepreneur, and Investor
Andy Richards is an entrepreneur and investor with an established track record in founding and scaling up innovative Biotech and Healthtech companies in the UK. He is Chairman of Arecor, Closed Loop Medicine, Congenica, Abcodia, and Babraham Bioscience Technologies Ltd (The Baraham Research Campus) and is a Director of Owlstone Medical, Ieso Digital Health Ltd and Cancer Research Technology (commercial board of CR-UK). He is an advisor to several investment funds including Cambridge Innovation Capital, Albion Capital and the UCL Technology Fund and was, until recently, a director of Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He is also a founder member of the Cambridge Angels.
Shai Vyakarnam, Cranfield University, Visiting Professor
Dr Shailendra Vyakarnam has been dedicated to enterprise education throughout his career having established entrepreneurship centres at Nottingham Business School, Cambridge Judge Business School and most recently been Director of the Bettany Centre for Entrepreneurship at Cranfield. He has taught and mentored entrepreneurs in several countries, enabling founders of science and technology-enabled businesses to unlock hidden value in their ideas, turn them into full business proposals and have the confidence and self-belief to take their ideas forward. Dr Vyakarnam was awarded "Best Entrepreneurship Professor" at the 2nd Asian Business Schools Awards in 2011. In 2012 he was elected to the prestigious European Academy of Science and Arts.
Jason Mellad, Start Codon, CEO
Jason is a scientist entrepreneur passionate about translating innovative technologies into better patient outcomes. As CEO and co-founder of Start Codon, a Cambridge based accelerator, he aims to identify and recruit the most disruptive healthcare startups worldwide, seed fund them and leverage the exceptional resources of the Cambridge cluster to de-risk and drive their success. Previously he was CEO of Cambridge Epigenetix and Business Development Manager for Horizon Discovery’s diagnostics division. He also served as an associate at Cambridge Enterprise, the technology transfer office of the University of Cambridge.