The Campus has an internationally recognised certificate for its Environmental Management System (ISO 14001 Certified). This includes energy, waste, transport and biodiversity management on Campus.
Here at the Wellcome Genome Campus we are committed to the maintenance of the factors and practices that contribute to the quality of environment on a long-term basis. We do this through a range of initiatives from encouraging our staff to adopt more environmentally-friendly ways of getting to work to maintaining a Nature Reserve that houses and protects many native plant and animal species.
Our sustainability strategy demonstrates the Campus’ commitment to considering the environment in all decisions that are made across Campus. From the goods and services that we purchase, to how we operate our catering and cleaning on site, through to how our grounds are managed.
The Welcome Genome Campus environmental strategic objectives are to:
- Minimise the environmental impact, including the prevention of pollution and mitigation against climate change wherever possible
- Adopt environmental approaches and practices which maximise energy efficiency, waste management and green travel
- Promote sustainability, improve local biodiversity and mitigate flooding wherever possible
- Provide environmental management support, training and awareness for all staff and contractors
- Comply with all appropriate environmental legislation and compliance documentation including waste and energy
- Influence other activities on the Wellcome Genome Campus, not controlled by Genome Research Limited
acre Wetlands Nature Reserve
of the total energy consumed on Campus is self-generated
staff using Campus bus service
e-car charging ports on Campus